Divisions of Meromictic Lakes
A meromictic lake can be divided into 5 zones.
1. The warm water portion of the mixolimnion, the circulating upper portion.
2. The metalimnion, the region which the temperature gradient is the steepest.
3. The oxygenated cold water portion of the mixolimnon.
4. The anaerobic portion of the mixolimnion.
5. The permanently anaerobic monimolimnon.
The chemocline is a line which seperates the mixolimnon from the monimloimnon, it is where the salinity gradient is the steepest.
Pink Lake From M. Dickman (1979)