The Ruins from the 1902 Eruption
The Theatre was originally built in 1786 and was later restored in
1816. It held 800 people and hosted many classical plays, great operas,
political evenings and elegant balls. In 1901, one year prior
to the eruption, the theatre closed due to lack of funding.
The prison was located adjacent to the theatre and was built in 1661.
It was used to hold those who had committed minor crimes and those awaiting
their trial. The remaining jail cell sheltered the only survivor of the
catastrophe, Louis Cyparis. He was rescued three days after the eruption
and was believed to have survived because of the thickness of the cell