The Ruins from the 1902 Eruption

The Mental Asylum was opened in 1838 following a bill of mental health that was passed. The institute was operated by the Sisters of St. Paul. The 1902 eruption killed the fourteen nurses, five nuns, and two hundred patients that resided within the Asylum.

Directly across from the Mental Asylum were the Civil and Miltary Engineering Offices. They were built in 1858 and contained several buildings on each of the three levels. Some of the walls of the buildings on the upper level still remain. The stairs leading to each of the levels as well as the base of the large water fountain are also still intact.